Saturday, July 21, 2007

A blog about nothing

Life without school is glorious in its way. As graduation neared I became a little reluctant to graduate. Graduation meant the end to writing term papers and signing over paychecks to the bookstore. It also meant the end to a lot of my stories. Now I don't have much to talk about.

While in school I would be asked about my classes and professors. I could share the knowledge I was learning in class. I could discuss films I watched and studied. The social element of college is underestimated.

One evening I was leaving the student center. On my way out two guys asked me where the parties were on-campus. After laughing to myself I told them they were at the wrong school. I instructed them where the frats were and off they went to play the thrilling maze game. (I say maze game because one of the few times I went to a frat party I felt like a lab rat traversing sticky floors in search of cheese. And I'm lactose-intolerant.)

Never confused with a party school NU still offered the opportunity to meet new people with each quarter change. Being at home waiting to land that dream job doesn't bring in a large amount of new faces. There are only two letter carriers during the week and we don't speak. There is always the hope of a Jehovah's or someone who is selling siding.

When I go out and meet-up with friends still in school the dialogue revolves around school and whether or not I've found a job. Conversation is soon exhausted and I repeat the conversation with someone new.

At least the weather is nice and I can talk about that for a whole minute.

Oh to be back in school and have something to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment