Sunday, December 21, 2008

Saving the Economy

In an effort to save the economy single-handedly, I've set out to purchase a vehicle.

Last week, I test drove a 2009 Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra and Versa, and Toyota Yaris.

I figure the cars are about the same with minor differences in style and price. Most dealers have offered prices near the "invoice" of the car. I'm shooting for below the invoice. The cars are sitting on the lot and no one is in the dealers.

The best offer thus far is $15,760 (MSRP 18775) for a 2009 Civic LX or 15125 for the lower trim--which seems to only lack power mirrors and cruise control. While that's $15,760 more than I want to spend for a car, I'm trying to get the car for 15k with taxes. Doubtful, but can't blame a guy for trying.

Oh, I also requested quotes from Chevy and Pontiac. Their cars are more expensive than the import--and arguably better--cars.

If you are ever bored, go to a car dealership and pretend to buy a car. It's a great exercise in negotiation with terrorists or feeble minded clowns. Beware the traps of discussing money down, trade-ins and target monthly payment. Instead focus on how empty the dealership is and how much bread costs.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment