Monday, July 11, 2011

Sorry for Apologizing

I was reading the May 30th issue of The New Yorker after dinner--stop judging me--and managed to read "Futurism" in its entirety. For those that know me and my proclivity toward literary-induced narcolepsy acknowledge this inspirational achievement.

The article is here.

If I read these issues faster you could read more than the abstract. Or you should subscribe.


Cory Arcangel is a musician turned modern artist.

Part of the article prompted me to post this apology and following deep thought. Arcangel tinkers with code in video games and retro electronics to use them to create art. He created a blog "Sorry I Haven't Posted," which through the magic of the interwebs, pulls blogs and re-posts them.

In light of my recent atonement for not posting more often, I realized the underlying arrogance of apologizing. Some of the posts on Arcangel's blog highlight the some depressing elements of the blogosphere. In the "I Think I was Born in the Wrong Era" post, the writer confesses reasons for not posting recently. Some of the other blogs do the same. I, too, am guilty.
Anyways, sorry I haven’t posted much lately, I’ve been busy and things have been kind of hectic, plus! I have friends now(;
Another says:
To the one of you who reads this, sorry I haven’t posted in a while.  I’ve been busy with traveling and whatnot.  Will be back when I feel inspired by the web again. 
How depressing is that? There appears to be a formula.

  1. Sorry
  2. Admission of how few people read the particular blog
  3. What I've been busy doing instead of writing

The Sorry post really is intended to share that the writer wasn't cooped up at home and passively sharing their thoughts. In essence it says "Sorry, I've been living my life."

Take a look through the blog for some amusing excuses.

If it weren't so hot outside, I'd be out living instead of inside blogging. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment