Monday, January 21, 2008

Day 5: M-I-C-K-E-Y

I've now settled back into frigid Chicagoland.

I ended up being able to go to Disney on my penultimate day in SoCal. Jenny, who'd also never been to Disney, went with me. I'll say right now that Disneyland is amazing. We snagged twilight tickets to go in the evening after working the convention and walked about 2 miles to the most magical (and crowded) place on earth.

We tried to hit all of the "musts" based on advice from previous visitors. First up was Dumbo, which was enjoyable. Then we hit the Teacups. WEEEEEE! Those were fun. I had to suppress the urge to yammie after whipping around in circles. I'll admit I was doing the drunken sailor dance after exiting the ride. Third up was It's A Small World. Jenny was tentative about this because her boyfriend said when he went on it as a kid it scarred him for life. Psssch. It was the greatest thing on earth. If everyone could start each morning with that ethnocentric, stereotyped depiction of the world there would be peace on earth. That was probably the longest, serpentine line. Disney artfully winds you around so you always think you are close to the ride, when you are really 20 minutes out. I was riding the high of Small World for a while. After that we went to Pirates of the Caribbean which was exciting. Then fireworks.

The fireworks were magnificul. I've seen more fireworks at Fourth of July shows but this one had an accompanying story which ratcheted up the show's value. With fantasy surrounding you, you get caught up in the wonderment of all that is Disney. While there was some level of disdain for the other people there, overall there is a happy vibe. Most people said "excuse me" when they needed to get by you or said "I'm sorry" when they bumped into you and stole your wallet.

Then Star Wars, which was a simulated ride. There was a girl in the ride that was mockingly enthused but it made it fun. Some guy couldn't get his seat belt fastened--slowed down the fervor and rapture.

While there were lines for everything most moved quickly. At most we waited 20 minutes for a ride.

I stopped at one of the many gift shops to get some mementos for my mom and sis. I selected the standard Mickey hat seen below for my mom and had to go to another store to have it embroidered. I told the guy that I'd like it to say "mom," and off he went to the machine. I saw that the computer screen read "Bob," not "mom." At first I thought how much my mom would truly value a hat that said Bob on it. After careful consideration I decided my mom would prefer her name. Perhaps the attendant didn't hear me properly or thought my name was Bob. I don't think I look anything like a Bob. I don't have a construction hat and overalls, nor do I hobble around warning people to spade and neuter their pets.

My favorites at Disney:
  1. Fireworks
  2. Small world
  3. Teacups
  4. Pirates
  5. Dumbo, Star wars
Can't wait to share Disney with my future family. At that point it'll probably be $500 a person.

Dreams do come true. It can happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment