Friday, January 18, 2008

Day 4: Get on up on the floor

Today began with a breakfast distributors meeting for Lowrey organs at 7:30. There was a guy at my table who was selected as one of the best regional dealers. He kept saying "that's right" whenever they mentioned something about organ sales.

After the meeting I started to really crave one of their Prestige organs. I've never had any desire to own an organ but the spirit took me during that meeting. Lowrey hopes the organ will bridge the gap between generations of players and get people to play seeking something fun. They best demonstrated this by playing the "Peter Gunn Theme." That sealed the deal.

I went back to the "war room" and wrote my story and selected a picture and gave it all to Frank. He went through it and edited it with me.

About the "war room," they call the gathering place where we are supposed to report back to the "war room." I don't care for this naming. It seems to carry with it a negative connotation. I shall dub the room the "peace room" or "writing room" or "tranquility room." Peculiarly enough, the term comes from the military. Go figure. It is a "command center or central place for carrying out orders and for supervising tasks, also known as a headquarters, or HQ."

The rest of the day was spent walking the floor and talking with vendors. Today I hit some pianos and other print dealers. I hit Baldwin, Music Sales Corp., Pearl River Piano Group, Young Chang and Kurzweil Music Systems. I also tried to talk to some one with Roland, but the guy was in meetings. While waiting for him, I saw Brian Culbertson who plays smooth jazz.

Other star sitings today include: Slash, Brian McKnight and two other guys who I have no clue who they are.

I'm hoping to go to a Yamaha concert tonight. John Legend, Jamie Cullum, Sara Bareilles and two others are set to perform.

There were some other thoughts I had while walking the floor:
  1. This town could really use a barber. This may as well be the long hair convention. Most of the business people are well trimmed, but some of the rock enthusiasts have let their hair grow down to the floor. It's like the '80s never ended.
  2. I could really get used to the hotel treatment. My bed gets made by the housekeeping. I really enjoy when they say "housekeeping" through the door. The bathroom is cleaned every day. They tidy my mini-messes. I'd prefer they leave the bed alone but I'll let it go. Everyone calls me "sir." Room service is nice in its way. The food is decent. I've had most of the menu by now. Last night I had a wine sampling at the restaurant. There was a white wine from Cali that didn't have sulfates. That was tolerable.
That's about it for now. Hopefully I get to go to the concert and rock out like only I know how, tired and sober.

2 comments: