Tuesday, May 13, 2008

They've Got The Hustle. They've Got The Muscle.

The Chicago Cubs are on their way. As were my mom and I for last night's game against the San Diego Padres.

Surprisingly, in my 15 years of going to games and nearly 23 years cheering and drooling for the Cubbies I had never been to a game with my mom.

The game consisted of nearly all of the requisite Cubs experiences, excruciating drive into the city, scavenging for a place to park, being offered multiple copies of Streetwise, public drunkenness, hot dogs, cheering and high-fiving.

You may have noticed an omission in the list of Wrigley experiences. As per my advice to those who like clean restrooms, AVOID Wrigley's facilities if at all possible. I recommend the McDonald's across the street, unless of course you enjoy waiting 20 minutes and sloshing around the pool that doubles as a washroom.

As to the game, my mom scored us seats in the Terrace reserved outfield section. They were decent seats save the steel support beam and the woman double fisting Mai Tai's. Also a credit to my mom, in my years of going I have never seen batting practice. She managed to get us down to Wrigley in enough time to see the Padres take some swings.

The first few innings went quickly with the Cubs taking an early lead off of a Derrek Lee double. SD answered in the top of the 3rd and went ahead in the top of the 5th on a solo home run. But this year's team isn't like those of the past. The Cubs exploded with 6 runs in the 5th and another 5 in the 6th.

We took off after the 5th and headed for the car. It was a little cold and the Cubs seemed to have this one in the bag.

So, for the statisticians keeping track, the Cubs are 1-0 when my mom and I go to Wrigley.

No comments:

Post a Comment