Wednesday, June 11, 2008

We The People


It is one thing to read about the history of our country in text books. It is quite another thing to go where our country was founded. Suddenly it all becomes real. The founding fathers become more than text on a page, more than aged, two-dimensional images.

Along with a group of more than 20 other seminar participants, I ventured into Philadelphia to take in the sites in the sweltering heat. There were rotations of who was the leader. I enjoyed a brief stint as guide and failed to lead the posse to the Old Tavern. Nevertheless, we went to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

The gravitas of our founding sunk in during the lecture at Independence Hall. The bravery that was required to separate from the oppression of British rule is remarkable.

Apparently in Philly, if there is a thunder storm the Septa train line we took shuts down. Subsequently, the final group of eight who stopped for a nightcap had to take the underground, then a trolley, then walk a good 2 miles back to campus. We made it, somehow.

I was glad I was able to share the experience with so many of my peers from the seminar. While we did wander around in search of places to eat and see I think we succeeded in getting a taste of the history of our fair nation.

Philadelphia is my mistress.


No comments:

Post a Comment