Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Week In Review

Their motto was "Sleep Less. Think More" at the Institute of Humane Studies. Initially I was opposed to this credo as it goes against most of my core values, namely "Sleep More. Think Less." According to my crude arithmetic skills, I spent 44 hours in discussion groups with nearly 70 attendees and nine lecturers during the 7-day seminar, but each waking moment fostered lifelong friendships and memories.
The amount of sleep lost--I think I averaged 4-5 hours of sleep a night--is inconsequential when compared to new pals and intellectual stimulation.

Here are a few of the many things I learned:
  • No one can ever truly be well-read. There are too many great books. But I will certainly try.
  • If you stick 70 people on a college campus with a supply of alcohol crazy things will happen.
  • To differentiate yourself: Know something big. Do something big (Kevin Williamson, Deputy Managing Editor National Review).
  • The Simpson's can explain everything from philosophy to economics.
  • Ask questions of everyone. Be inquisitive.
  • Be Great at one skill. Good at two. OK at 2-3 (Chris Harper, Professor and former international correspondent).
  • Be edgy.
  • Grand Funk Railroad was not a funk group from the '70s.
  • Journalists work for their readers.
  • People with good handwriting always end up being the writer in groups.
  • All great businesses get started in bars or garages.
  • The handicap shower stall is far superior to the regular one.
  • Don't wait for opportunities, create opportunities.
I would highly recommend those around college age participate in seminars like this one from IHS. In addition to the social benefits, you are exposed to different ways of thinking and alternate ways to view the world. I wish my college experience had been like this seminar. All of the lecturers were interested in getting to know the participants and helping in whatever way they could, whether that be explaining a topic or discussing what music they rock out to.

2 comments:

  1. "If you stick 70 people on a college campus..."

    I feel like that "sentence" is missing..well..a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that how long we spent learning and stuff?

    wow

    ReplyDelete