Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Shared: Media multitaskers are in danger of brain overload - Times Online

Hold on. I think I just got a text.

Media multitaskers are in danger of brain overload - Times Online

With e-mails, phone calls, text messages and online social media all competing for our attention, often against a background of television, radio or music, our brains can reach information overload, research has suggested.

I've read the studies and fear for my future mental health. There is some sense of accomplishment that I can IM, email, text, listen to music and read news stories nearly simultaneously. But I know in the long run it will diminish my capacity to focus or think deeply. Tonight I was watching Shaq Vs and checking emails and Facebook. There was no need to do all these things. Tomorrow I'll try to let my brain rest in between tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment