Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 1: The Arrival

I shall never tire of flying into Southern California. This is my third trip in four years to the land of smog and sun. Each time I gaze out the consistently dirty window with rounded corners to behold the earth below. I’m not sure if I love flying or flying to someplace warmer. Soaring above the clouds seems so peaceful. If I could just tune out the snarfing blue hairs and wailing infants I'd be set.

Perhaps it is the different terrain that piques my interest. Peering out the window I marvel at the mountains and rivers. On this trip I noticed some large grassy hills/mountains that looked like bunched up velvet. It’s breathtaking to see the country from 30,000 feet.

So I was flying with my coworker Jenny and we landed in Santa Ana. We hailed a cab and I swear the guy was the one from Troop Beverly Hills. He had the black shades and this blazing yellow Nike cap.

I settled into my hotel room. Decent accommodations. My full report will be given at the end of the trip. The one big strike right now is lack of internet in the rooms.

As to the work part of the trip, yesterday I edited some pages and walked around with the publisher and editor surveying the land.

Last night I had sushi for the first time at a Japanese restaurant near Disneyland. How they could serve flounder, I’ll never know. It was pretty good. I don’t think I would choose sushi if were debating what to get for dinner. It seemed like avocado, cucumber, shrimp wrapped in rice. The dipping in soy sauce just made the thing taste like soy sauce. I did like the miso soup, which tasted salty to my palette but in a non-salty way.

Today should entail some reporting and picture taking. I’m off to shower and get some breakfast. Have to hit the ground running!

Note: I just watched the weather—the abc affiliate has a “Live Mega Doppler 8000 HD,” guess the super-duper Doppler bajillion must be in the shop.

Sub-Note: Where is the Wi-Fi in this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment